• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Supplements to ease the female menstrual cycle.

Cyb

Bluelighter
Was looking for some more input on what one would recommend a human being in standard healthy conditions going through their menstrual cycle that would ease their suffering as much as possible.

So far, I have gathered the following information:

-Vitamin A: Reduces ''overall'' symptoms of PMS.

-Vitamin B6: Reduces bloating due to its diuretic properties. Also thought to
help regulate estrogen imbalances present during menstruation. B6 is also suggested to be necessary to render magnesium effective in the body. (Suggested 50mg/Daily) *Note* - Dangerous side effects can become present in the 100 - 200mg daily dosage level. Do not take more than suggested dose on bottle.

-Vitamin E: Suggested effective in improving symptoms of tender / sore breasts. (Suggested 400IU/Daily)

-Zinc: Suggested to improve acne and breakouts associated with PMS. May also improve depression associated with PMS. (Suggested 15mg/daily)

-Calcium: Suggested to greatly reduce overall uncomfortableness, cramping, and pain associated with PMS. (Suggested 1.2g / daily)

-Magnesium: Suggested effective in reducing stress levels, and body-wide muscle cramping/tension. Also helps with water retention issues. (Suggested 200mg daily)

Pregabalin/Naproxen Sodium/Benzodiazepines/Muscle Relaxers - Self explanatory.

This is a very preliminary list, I am sure, but in an attempt to make things as easy on my girlfriend for the next few days, I am curious as to hear what you guys suggest in terms of unscheduled, legal, easily obtainable substances (that do not require a doctor visit) that would help one have the easiest and most comfortable time during that period of the month.

I am not a medical professional. The doses suggested above are what I would feel comfortable suggesting my significant other take during that time of the month. I do not suggest you ingest any of these substances in any amount before doing your own further research.

Thanks,
Cyb

Last edited:
My suggestion...first off, ibuprofen! NSAIDs (so this includes naproxen as well) have something in them to stop the uterine contractions themselves apparently (no source atm but I've seen it online and my gyno told me that as well) and its best to start taking them before cramps begin.
I swear by my heating pad, which is a bigger help than any drugs at all whatsoever. These two are the best things I can suggest, I've tried a variety of nasty tasting substances offered to me by the health food store, as well as other prescription/non prescription pain relief and this is best.

If she smokes pot, get her some. I've found it to be amazing for the horrible nausea that I get monthly...it's not something that requires a dr visit, so it still sorta answers the question. Helps with the bitchiness too. And make things easy on yourself? You have no idea how fucking much a period sucks. Oh, and if she takes a multi-vitamin daily, a lot of those supplements and dosages are included, so she would not need extra. She would in fact need to check her own multi-vitamin before taking it.

I always take 800mg ibuprofen for my menstrual cramps/pains. This helps greatly for associated body aches: cramps and muscle pains mainly. This is actually the only medication I take for it. For me, works like a charm but only at this dose.

I agree that using ibuprofen is very effective. It helps to reduce the body and muscle pain. As I experience when using it.... :)

[Please do not use Bluelight for subliminal advertising, thanks - n3o]

Last edited by a moderator:
ive started taking evening primrose oil capsules everyday

can get em well cheap from health shops etc. i started taking it just after i started the pill and already i can feel the hormones coming...but somewhat supressed

and it gives you healthy skin :D

just read the ingredients, its got evening primrose oil and vitamin E in it

:)